SSF has been screening dance films for 18 years, but now we have our first ever call for specifically jazz and American social dance inspired films as part of our 2022 call for entries.
Sans Souci Festival is seeking works for screen for presentation in partnership with Rhythmically Speaking, a Twin Cities (Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minnesota, USA) based dance company with a 14 year track record of excellence in jazz dance. Works for stage (submitted through Rhythmically Speaking) will be presented in a live Summer 2022 production in the Twin Cities. Films (submitted through Sans Souci Festival) will be screened in Fall 2022 events in Boulder, Colorado, USA.
The call for live stage works is now closed.
Need to Know Info
- submitted works must explore jazz and American social dance ideas from forms including but not limited to tap and hip-hop styles
- we encourage you to join the ongoing conversation around “what constitutes jazz and American social dance,” and the sociocultural histories of and innovations in these styles by submitting
- artists 21 and older at any point in their careers are welcomed to submit
- screen works submissions must be between 2-15 minutes in length
- separate curatorial panels will select three works for a live production in Minneapolis in August 2022, and seven to ten films for Fall screening events
- Sans Souci Festival’s regular rules and terms of entry apply
- February 28, 2022 – early bird deadline & fee assistance deadline
- April 4, 2022 – regular deadline
- May 4, 2022 – late deadline
- June 22, 2022 – notification date
- screen events will be scheduled in 2022 in Colorado and Minnesota
Artists selected to present screen works will have their work shown at premiere screening events, receive laurels from one of the longest-running dance film festivals in the USA to display in advertising their work, audience/artist dialogue opportunities, a chance to win a $200.00 prize for selection as the top submission in the Jazz Dance Film category, and open themselves to the possibilities of international and university screenings of their work and winning an Audience Choice Award.
Stage: The call for live stage works is now closed.
Screen: Films may be submitted at filmfreeway.com/SansSouciFest. If you have a film that has been selected by Sans Souci Festival in the past, and you think it is a good fit for screening in this category, please contact us.
Based in the Twin Cities of Minnesota (USA), Rhythmically Speaking has been creating and presenting new and reimagined dance works, workshops and events since 2008. Our mission is to spark vibrancy and connectedness through jazz and American social dance ideas. rhythmicallyspeakingdance.org
Based in Boulder, Colorado (USA), Sans Souci has been screening films in our hometown, across the United States, and around the world since 2004. Our mission is to provide a space for the community to share an experience of dance cinema and to elevate the ever-changing nature, culture, and field of dance cinema. Learn more about Sans Souci.
If the submission fee creates a financial barrier to your entry, Sans Souci may be able to help. We offer a limited amount of fee assistance to those with financial hardship, with a preference for artists from historically or currently marginalized communities. If you’d like to apply for this program, please submit an application form by the early bird deadline. You’ll be notified shortly after the early bird deadline whether or not you’ve been selected for a waiver. If not, you’ll still receive the early bird deadline price for submission. As stated in our mission and values, increasing equitable access to dance cinema festivals is a high priority for us. If you have questions about this, please feel free to contact us. Submitting the form does not guarantee receiving a waiver. Receiving fee assistance does not grant acceptance to the festival. All films submitted must go through curation, and may or may not be accepted for screening. Due to the limited amount of fee assistance available, artists selected will only be able to submit one film. If you are looking for help with the cost of covering multiple submissions, please email us requesting a bulk submission discount.
Still have questions? Connect with us. We thank you for your interest and look forward to seeing your work!